The countdown is believed to have started for the 28 day period over which the Minister for Environment must make his decision on whether the Option 3b breakwater and beach road development will be given approval under the Coastal Management Act. Please see our What Can I do? page for urgent action.
The announcement will probably be made before 20 January 2013 given the 28 day decision period is believed to have started on 24 December 2012.
Of the signatories, 91% came from Australia, and 9% came from 24 other countries.
The petition sends a message to Minister for the Environment and Climate Change Ryan Smith that there is great concern locally, on a state basis, nationally and internationally that this development will adversely affect Bastion Point and is not supported by Victorian coastal policies.
Over five years since our last protest at Parliament House, we were back again on 10 December to send a clear message to the Minister for the Environment: that Option 3b breakwater and beach road proposal SHOULD NOT be approved under the Coastal Management Act. Over 80 people of all ages attended, including many who visited Mallacoota year after year, and including fishermen who use the current ocean access and see Option 3b as an unnecessary overdevelopment.
Speakers were told by Save Bastion Point Campaign’s Jenny Mason, who travelled from Mallacoota to address the rally, that a breakwater and beach road will have lasting negative effects on the magnificent Bastion Point area. Unlike the construction fence that was behind the rally and topped with protesters ‘rocks’ to simulate the 2.8 m height of the real breakwater, a breakwater at Bastion Point can never be taken down.
Dr Rex Campbell, chairperson of Surfrider Foundation Australia, stated that surfing was an important recreation activity for Mallacoota, and that surfers nationally and internationally had objected to the proposal to destroy part of the surf break at Bastion Point.
The rally was told by Greens MP Sue Pennicuik that it was important that everyone contact Minister Ryan Smith and urge him not to give Coastal Management Act consent to the development. She hoped he would take heed of the over 1900 signatures to our petition.
Thanks to all those who attended and gave voice to the message that this is an issue of state, national and international significance.
The rally was covered on WIN and 10 regional TV, ABC Radio Gippsland, and the East Gippsland News.
To publicise the impending decision on the future of Bastion Point, expected before Christmas, we are holding the following event:
Monday 10 December 12 midday, Parliament House steps, Melbourne (cnr. Spring and Bourke St).
We would love to see you at the rally, and the more ‘beachy’ or colourful, the better. If you can, pack a beach towel in your briefcase, bathers, zinc cream, surfboards, boogey boards.
This week, is also your last chance to sign the Petition along with 1900 others before it’s delivered to the Minister for Environment.
If you can come to rally please email James Thyer at email@example.com.